This page is being displayed without its intended CSS styles in web.css.
How the city sits
solitary, that was full of people!
- She has become as a widow, who was great among the nations!
- She who was a princess among the provinces is become tributary!
- She weeps sore in the
night, and her tears are on her cheeks;
- among all her lovers she has none to comfort her:
- All her friends have dealt treacherously with her; they are become her
- Judah is gone into
captivity because of affliction, and because of great servitude;
- she dwells among the nations, she finds no rest:
- all her persecutors overtook her within the straits.
- The ways of Zion do
mourn, because none come to the solemn assembly;
- all her gates are desolate, her priests do sigh:
- her virgins are afflicted, and she herself is in bitterness.
- Her adversaries are
become the head, her enemies prosper;
- for Yahweh has afflicted her for the multitude of her transgressions:
- her young children are gone into captivity before the adversary.
- From the daughter of
Zion all her majesty is departed:
- her princes are become like harts that find no pasture,
- they are gone without strength before the pursuer.
- Jerusalem remembers in
the days of her affliction and of her miseries all her pleasant things
that were from the days of old:
- when her people fell into the hand of the adversary, and none did help
- The adversaries saw her, they did mock at her desolations.
- Jerusalem has
grievously sinned; therefore she is become as an unclean thing;
- all who honored her despise her, because they have seen her nakedness:
- yes, she sighs, and turns backward.
- Her filthiness was in
her skirts; she didn't remember her latter end;
- therefore is she come down wonderfully; she has no comforter:
- see, Yahweh, my affliction; for the enemy has magnified himself.
- The adversary has
spread out his hand on all her pleasant things:
- for she has seen that the nations are entered into her sanctuary,
- concerning whom you did command that they should not enter into your
- All her people sigh,
they seek bread;
- they have given their pleasant things for food to refresh the soul:
- look, Yahweh, and see; for I am become abject.
- Is it nothing to you,
all you who pass by?
- Look, and see if there be any sorrow like my sorrow, which is brought
- With which Yahweh has afflicted me in the day of his fierce
- From on high has he
sent fire into my bones, and it prevails against them;
- He has spread a net for my feet, he has turned me back:
- He has made me desolate and faint all the day.
- The yoke of my
transgressions is bound by his hand;
- They are knit together, they are come up on my neck; he has made my
strength to fail:
- The Lord has delivered me into their hands, against whom I am not able
- The Lord has set at
nothing all my mighty men in the midst of me;
- He has called a solemn assembly against me to crush my young men:
- The Lord has trodden as in a winepress the virgin daughter of Judah.
- For these things I
weep; my eye, my eye runs down with water;
- Because the comforter who should refresh my soul is far from me:
- My children are desolate, because the enemy has prevailed.
- Zion spreads forth
her hands; there is none to comfort her;
- Yahweh has commanded concerning Jacob, that those who are around him
should be his adversaries:
- Jerusalem is among them as an unclean thing.
- Yahweh is righteous;
for I have rebelled against his commandment:
- Please hear all you peoples, and see my sorrow:
- My virgins and my young men are gone into captivity.
- I called for my
lovers, but they deceived me:
- My priests and my elders gave up the spirit in the city,
- While they sought them food to refresh their souls.
- See, Yahweh; for I am
in distress; my heart is troubled;
- My heart is turned within me; for I have grievously rebelled:
- Abroad the sword bereaves, at home there is as death.
- They have heard that
I sigh; there is none to comfort me;
- All my enemies have heard of my trouble; they are glad that you have
- You will bring the day that you have proclaimed, and they shall be
- Let all their
wickedness come before you;
- Do to them, as you have done to me for all my transgressions:
- For my sighs are many, and my heart is faint.
How has the Lord
covered the daughter of Zion with a cloud in his anger!
- He has cast down from heaven to the earth the beauty of Israel,
- And hasn't remembered his footstool in the day of his anger.
- The Lord has swallowed
up all the habitations of Jacob, and has not pitied:
- He has thrown down in his wrath the strongholds of the daughter of
- He has brought them down to the ground; he has profaned the kingdom
and its princes.
- He has cut off in
fierce anger all the horn of Israel;
- He has drawn back his right hand from before the enemy:
- He has burned up Jacob like a flaming fire, which devours all around.
- He has bent his bow
like an enemy, he has stood with his right hand as an adversary,
- Has killed all that were pleasant to the eye:
- In the tent of the daughter of Zion he has poured out his wrath like
- The Lord is become as
an enemy, he has swallowed up Israel;
- He has swallowed up all her palaces, he has destroyed his strongholds;
- He has multiplied in the daughter of Judah mourning and lamentation.
- He has violently taken
away his tent, as if it were of a garden; he has destroyed his place of
- Yahweh has caused solemn assembly and Sabbath to be forgotten in Zion,
- Has despised in the indignation of his anger the king and the priest.
- The Lord has cast off
his altar, he has abhorred his sanctuary;
- He has given up into the hand of the enemy the walls of her palaces:
- They have made a noise in the house of Yahweh, as in the day of a
- Yahweh has purposed to
destroy the wall of the daughter of Zion;
- He has stretched out the line, he has not withdrawn his hand from
- He has made the rampart and wall to lament; they languish together.
- Her gates are sunk
into the ground; he has destroyed and broken her bars:
- Her king and her princes are among the nations where the law is not;
- Yes, her prophets find no vision from Yahweh.
- The elders of the
daughter of Zion sit on the ground, they keep silence;
- They have cast up dust on their heads; they have girded themselves
- The virgins of Jerusalem hang down their heads to the ground.
- My eyes do fail with
tears, my heart is troubled;
- My liver is poured on the earth, because of the destruction of the
daughter of my people,
- Because the young children and the infants swoon in the streets of the
- They tell their
mothers, Where is grain and wine?
- When they swoon as the wounded in the streets of the city,
- When their soul is poured out into their mothers' bosom.
- What shall I testify
to you? what shall I liken to you, daughter of Jerusalem?
- What shall I compare to you, that I may comfort you, virgin daughter
- For your breach is great like the sea: who can heal you?
- Your prophets have
seen for you false and foolish visions;
- They have not uncovered your iniquity, to bring back your captivity,
- But have seen for you false oracles and causes of banishment.
- All that pass by clap
their hands at you;
- They hiss and wag their head at the daughter of Jerusalem,
- Is this the city that men called The perfection of beauty, The joy of
the whole earth?
- All your enemies have
opened their mouth wide against you;
- They hiss and gnash the teeth; they say, We have swallowed her up;
- Certainly this is the day that we looked for; we have found, we have
- Yahweh has done that
which he purposed; he has fulfilled his word that he commanded in the days
- He has thrown down, and has not pitied:
- He has caused the enemy to rejoice over you; he has exalted the horn
of your adversaries.
- Their heart cried to
- wall of the daughter of Zion, let tears run down like a river day and
- Give yourself no respite; don't let the apple of your eye cease.
- Arise, cry out in the
night, at the beginning of the watches;
- Pour out your heart like water before the face of the Lord:
- Lift up your hands toward him for the life of your young children,
that faint for hunger at the head of every street.
- Look, Yahweh, and see
to whom you have done thus!
- Shall the women eat their fruit, the children that are dandled in the
- Shall the priest and the prophet be killed in the sanctuary of the
- The youth and the old
man lie on the ground in the streets;
- My virgins and my young men are fallen by the sword:
- You have killed them in the day of your anger; you have slaughtered,
and not pitied.
- You have called, as
in the day of a solemn assembly, my terrors on every side;
- There was none that escaped or remained in the day of Yahweh's anger:
- Those that I have dandled and brought up has my enemy consumed.
- I am the man that has
seen affliction by the rod of his wrath.
- He has led me and
caused me to walk in darkness, and not in light.
- Surely against me he
turns his hand again and again all the day.
- My flesh and my skin
has he made old; he has broken my bones.
- He has built against
me, and surrounded me with gall and travail.
- He has made me to
dwell in dark places, as those that have been long dead.
- He has walled me
about, that I can't go forth; he has made my chain heavy.
- Yes, when I cry, and
call for help, he shuts out my prayer.
- He has walled up my
ways with cut stone; he has made my paths crooked.
- He is to me as a bear
lying in wait, as a lion in secret places.
- He has turned aside
my ways, and pulled me in pieces; he has made me desolate.
- He has bent his bow,
and set me as a mark for the arrow.
- He has caused the
shafts of his quiver to enter into my kidneys.
- I am become a
derision to all my people, and their song all the day.
- He has filled me with
bitterness, he has sated me with wormwood.
- He has also broken my
teeth with gravel stones; he has covered me with ashes.
- You have removed my
soul far off from peace; I forgot prosperity.
- I said, My strength
is perished, and my expectation from Yahweh.
- Remember my
affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall.
- My soul still
remembers them, and is bowed down within me.
- This I recall to my
mind; therefore have I hope.
- It is of
Yahweh's loving kindnesses that we are not consumed, because his
compassion doesn't fail.
- They are new every
morning; great is your faithfulness.
- Yahweh is my portion,
says my soul; therefore will I hope in him.
- Yahweh is good to
those who wait for him, to the soul that seeks him.
- It is good that a man
should hope and quietly wait for the salvation of Yahweh.
- It is good for a man
that he bear the yoke in his youth.
- Let him sit alone and
keep silence, because he has laid it on him.
- Let him put his mouth
in the dust, if so be there may be hope.
- Let him give his
cheek to him who strikes him; let him be filled full with reproach.
- For the Lord will not
cast off forever.
- For though he cause
grief, yet he will have compassion according to the multitude of his
- For he does not
afflict willingly, nor grieve the children of men.
- To crush under foot
all the prisoners of the earth,
- To turn aside the
right of a man before the face of the Most High,
- To subvert a man in
his cause, the Lord doesn't approve.
- Who is he who says,
and it comes to pass, when the Lord doesn't command it?
- Doesn't evil and good
come out of the mouth of the Most High?
- Why does a living man
complain, a man for the punishment of his sins?
- Let us search and try
our ways, and turn again to Yahweh.
- Let us lift up our
heart with our hands to God in the heavens.
- We have transgressed
and have rebelled; you have not pardoned.
- You have covered with
anger and pursued us; you have killed, you have not pitied.
- You have covered
yourself with a cloud, so that no prayer can pass through.
- You have made us an
off-scouring and refuse in the midst of the peoples.
- All our enemies have
opened their mouth wide against us.
- Fear and the pit are
come on us, devastation and destruction.
- My eye runs down with
streams of water, for the destruction of the daughter of my people.
- My eye pours down,
and doesn't cease, without any intermission,
- Until Yahweh look
down, and see from heaven.
- My eye affects my
soul, because of all the daughters of my city.
- They have chased me
sore like a bird, those who are my enemies without cause.
- They have cut off my
life in the dungeon, and have cast a stone on me.
- Waters flowed over my
head; I said, I am cut off.
- I called on your
name, Yahweh, out of the lowest dungeon.
- You heard my voice;
don't hide your ear at my breathing, at my cry.
- You drew near in the
day that I called on you; you said, Don't be afraid.
- Lord, you have
pleaded the causes of my soul; you have redeemed my life.
- Yahweh, you have seen
my wrong; judge you my cause.
- You have seen all
their vengeance and all their devices against me.
- You have heard their
reproach, Yahweh, and all their devices against me,
- The lips of those
that rose up against me, and their device against me all the day.
- See you their sitting
down, and their rising up; I am their song.
- You will render to
them a recompense, Yahweh, according to the work of their hands.
- You will give them
hardness of heart, your curse to them.
- You will pursue them
in anger, and destroy them from under the heavens of Yahweh.
How is the gold become
dim! how is the most pure gold changed!
- The stones of the sanctuary are poured out at the head of every street.
- The precious sons of
Zion, comparable to fine gold,
- How are they esteemed as earthen pitchers, the work of the hands of
- Even the jackals draw
out the breast, they give suck to their young ones:
- The daughter of my people is become cruel, like the ostriches in the
- The tongue of the
sucking child cleaves to the roof of his mouth for thirst:
- The young children ask bread, and no man breaks it to them.
- Those who did feed
delicately are desolate in the streets:
- Those who were brought up in scarlet embrace dunghills.
- For the iniquity of
the daughter of my people is greater than the sin of Sodom,
- That was overthrown as in a moment, and no hands were laid on her.
- Her nobles were purer
than snow, they were whiter than milk;
- They were more ruddy in body than rubies, their polishing was as of
- Their visage is
blacker than a coal; they are not known in the streets:
- Their skin cleaves to their bones; it is withered, it is become like a
- Those who are killed
with the sword are better than those who are killed with hunger;
- For these pine away, stricken through, for want of the fruits of the
- The hands of the
pitiful women have boiled their own children;
- They were their food in the destruction of the daughter of my people.
- Yahweh has
accomplished his wrath, he has poured out his fierce anger;
- He has kindled a fire in Zion, which has devoured its foundations.
- The kings of the
earth didn't believe, neither all the inhabitants of the world,
- That the adversary and the enemy would enter into the gates of
- It is because
of the sins of her prophets, and the iniquities of her priests,
- That have shed the blood of the just in the midst of her.
- They wander as blind
men in the streets, they are polluted with blood,
- So that men can't touch their garments.
- Depart you, they
cried to them, Unclean! depart, depart, don't touch!
- When they fled away and wandered, men said among the nations, They
shall no more sojourn here.
- The anger of Yahweh
has scattered them; he will no more regard them:
- They didn't respect the persons of the priests, they didn't favor the
- Our eyes do yet fail
in looking for our vain help:
- In our watching we have watched for a nation that could not save.
- They hunt our steps,
so that we can't go in our streets:
- Our end is near, our days are fulfilled; for our end is come.
- Our pursuers were
swifter than the eagles of the sky:
- They chased us on the mountains, they laid wait for us in the
- The breath of our
nostrils, the anointed of Yahweh, was taken in their pits;
- Of whom we said, Under his shadow we shall live among the nations.
- Rejoice and be glad,
daughter of Edom, that dwell in the land of Uz:
- The cup shall pass through to you also; you shall be drunken, and
shall make yourself naked.
- The punishment of
your iniquity is accomplished, daughter of Zion; he will no more carry you
away into captivity:
- He will visit your iniquity, daughter of Edom; he will uncover your
Remember, Yahweh, what
has come on us:
- Look, and see our reproach.
- Our inheritance is
turned to strangers,
- Our houses to aliens.
- We are orphans and
- Our mothers are as widows.
- We have drunken our
water for money;
- Our wood is sold to us.
- Our pursuers are on
- We are weary, and have no rest.
- We have given the hand
to the Egyptians,
- To the Assyrians, to be satisfied with bread.
- Our fathers sinned,
and are no more;
- We have borne their iniquities.
- Servants rule over us:
- There is none to deliver us out of their hand.
- We get our bread at
the peril of our lives,
- Because of the sword of the wilderness.
- Our skin is black
like an oven,
- Because of the burning heat of famine.
- They ravished the
women in Zion,
- The virgins in the cities of Judah.
- Princes were hanged
up by their hand:
- The faces of elders were not honored.
- The young men bare
- The children stumbled under the wood.
- The elders have
ceased from the gate,
- The young men from their music.
- The joy of our heart
- Our dance is turned into mourning.
- The crown is fallen
from our head:
- Woe to us! for we have sinned.
- For this our heart is
- For these things our eyes are dim;
- For the mountain of
Zion, which is desolate:
- The foxes walk on it.
- You, Yahweh, abide
- Your throne is from generation to generation.
- Why do you forget us
- And forsake us so long time?
- Turn you us to you,
Yahweh, and we shall be turned;
- Renew our days as of old.
- But you have utterly
- You are very angry against us.
[Home] [Report typo]
HTML generated 13 August 2003.